Waitakaruru Arboretum and Sculpture Park
Address: 207 Scotsman Valley Rd, Tauwhare, Hamilton, Waikato
Venue Types: Art Gallery, Home & Garden
Carved into a Waikato hillside, this formerly derelict quarry has been transformed into a 42-acre garden and arboretum. Planting, which started in 1991, has been designed to use and enhance the landscape of rocky outcrops, ponds, flowing water, and broad vistas toward Mt. Pirongia.
The Arboretum has been awarded the prestigious ‘Garden of Significance' status from the New Zealand Garden Trust. It is the location of New Zealand's most extensive sculpture gallery.
* ponds, lakes, waterfalls and a stream
* collections of more than 18,000 trees and shrubs located in:
o a fernery and native NZ bush gullies
o American, Latin American, Asian, and Australian sections
o a rock garden of succulents and cacti
* a two kilometre long trail leads through the sculpture park
* all weather walking track, ample parking, bus bay
* most sections are accessible by wheelchair- advice should be sought ahead by ringing first (07) 824-0733
The Waikato Sculpture Trust runs successive sculpture exhibitions and a gallery area in the Park. There are three new exhibitions annually. Commissions from sales help run future exhibitions. A catalogue and map provides a guide for your visit.
The Park is open every day of the year from 10am until sunset.
Upcoming events at Waitakaruru Arboretum and Sculpture Park
Past events at Waitakaruru Arboretum and Sculpture Park
- Are you responsible for Waitakaruru Arboretum and Sculpture Park? Claim it