99 Motions Rd, Western Springs, Auckland
Auckland Zoo is home to the largest collection of native and exotic animals in New Zealand, set in 17 hectares of lush parkland and just minutes from central Auckland.
There is lots to see and do all year, including events, animal encounters, behind-the-scenes experiences and more!
Auckland Zoo plays a key role in many breeding recovery programmes for threatened and endangered native species. Through its Conservation Fund, the Zoo supports field-based conservation projects, locally and overseas.
During summer (1 September to 30 April), Auckland Zoo is open every day from 9.30am to 5.30pm (except Christmas Day), with last admissions into the Zoo at 4.15pm. During winter (1 May to 31 August), hours are 9.30am - 5pm, with last admissions into the Zoo at 4.15pm.
The current exhibition areas include:
* ASB Elephant Clearing, home to the Zoo's female Asian elephant, Burma
* Aussie Walkabout, where wallabies and emus share a mixed walk-through exhibit which leads to an Australian bird aviary featuring rainbow lorikeets
* Primate Trail, where Auckland Zoo's two families of Bornean orangutans can be found along with the ring-tailed lemurs
* The Rainforest, full of naturalistic exhibits, and boasting tarantula, and primate species like the golden lion tamarins, spider monkeys, squirrel monkeys and siamang gibbons.
* New Zealand Centre for Conservation Medicine (NZCCM), offers views directly into the laboratory, treatment room and operating theatre, so you can watch Auckland Zoo's vet team in action
* KidZone – the children's zoo has a play area, plus small and rural animals.
* Pridelands, featuring ostriches, giraffes, zebras, springboks, southern white rhino hippopotamus, serval, Hamadryas baboons, cheetahs, flamingos and a pride of lions.
* Te Wao Nui – Encompassing a fifth of the Zoo's 17ha footprint, Te Wao Nui offers both locals and tourists a truly unique and immersive experience of New Zealand's animals, plants and culture in a way that has never been done before, anywhere - all in one location at Auckland Zoo.
* Tiger Territory features rare Sumatran tigers – a male called Jaka and a female called Molek, along with one of her offspring, Berani.
Before you go, would you like to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter with events happening in your area, competitions for free tickets and CD giveaways?
Enter your email below, click on the Sign Up button and we’ll send you on your way
Continuing confirms your acceptance of our terms of service.