Te Wheoro's Redoubt
Address: Talbot St, Rangiriri, Te Kauwhata
Website: New Zealand Historic Places Trust
Venue Types: Historic
This fortification was built after one of the key engagements of the New Zealand Wars.
After the battle of Rangiriri in November 1863, this redoubt was built on part of the Maori earthworks to house a British garrison. It is named for Wiremu Te Wheoro, who occupied it on behalf of the government in 1868-1869 during the Te Kooti campaigns.