International Antarctic Centre
Address: 38 Orchard Road, Burnside, Christchurch City
Phone: 0508 736 4846
- Weekdays: 9am–5:30pm
- Weekends: 9am–5:30pm
- Closed on Public Holidays
Venue Types: Museum, Discovery, Conference & Function
Amenities: Carpark, Wheelchair Access, Toilets, Guided Tours Available, Gift Shop
Suitable for Ages: Families
- All day pass with unlimited entry and rides - Adult: $55.00
- All day pass with unlimited entry and rides - Children (5-15yrs): $36.00
- Hagglund Ride Only - unlimited all day pass: $20.00
- Penguin Backstage Pass (optional) - Adult : $20.00
- Penguin Backstage Pass (optional) - Child: $15.00
- Booking fees may apply
The International Antarctic Centre is Christchurch’s leading attraction and has twice been judged New Zealand’s best attraction. Located across from Christchurch International Airport the attraction offers a fun, exciting and interactive experience of the Great White South.
Have fun in real snow and ice! Chilled to -5 degrees Celsius this safe all weather environment is great fun for all ages. Get ‘exchillarated’ by the Antarctic storm that blows every 30 mins.
See live Little Blue penguins in the New Zealand Penguin Encounter, this ‘state of the art’ encounter is New Zealand’s only combined indoor/outdoor penguin viewing area.
Take a ride on a genuine Antarctic vehicle – the Hagglund! This outdoor adventure ride is the only one of its type in the world and showcases the demanding capabilities of this Antarctic workhorse.
The Antarctic Attraction is open every day of the year, including Christmas Day, from 9:00am.
Summer hours: 1 October - 30 April 9am - 7:00pm
Winter hours: 1 May - 30 September 9am - 5:30pm
The 'coolest' functions in town are at the International Antarctic Centre! Available as a venue only or add in attraction activities to create your own special memorable event.
We have rooms and spaces to host childrens birthday parties, meetings, product launches, balls, corporate events, dinners and cocktail parties from 10-300.
- Meeting Room holds up to 40 theatre style
- The Atrium seats 100-120 for dinner or up to 250-300 for a cocktail function
- Up to 40 for a seated dinner or breakfast with the Penguins
Free daily shuttle, the Penguin Express, departs hourly from 9am from the Christchurch Cathedral Square.
Freephone 0508 736 48 46