Lopdell House Gallery
Address: 5 Totara Ave, New Lynn, Auckland
Phone: (09) 817 8087
- Weekdays: 10am–4:30pm
- Closed on Public Holidays
Venue Types: Art Gallery
Amenities: Wheelchair Access, Gift Shop
Suitable for Ages: Families
- Admission: Free
In October of 2012 the Lopdell House building will be closed for two years for the refurbishment and earthquake strengthening of the building and for a new purpose built gallery to be erected next door on Titirangi Road. Both buildings are due to open late 2014.
Lopdell House began life in 1930 as Hotel Titirangi. Designed by Shortland Street Architects Bloomfield and Partners the building was originally envisaged by the main shareholder, to be an impressive 4-storied monument, with colonnades and courtyards. Upon completion a less embellished hotel was opened on 20 November 1930 by Prime Minister Gordon Coates in a glittering stylish occasion, in spite of the fact that the Hotel failed to gain a liquor licence and was soon dubbed ‘The Pub with no Beer’.
Throughout the years of the Hotel’s existence, it was plagued by difficulties through low patronage, lack of a liquor licence and then the Depression. In the late 1930’s with a slight increase of traffic, a nightclub was opened and run by NZ personality of the time, Nero (Mr Silver). The club featured singing, supper, music and dancing. This unfortunately, was short-lived with World War II removing the rest of the patronage.
In 1942 the building was passed on to the Department of Education to use as a School for the Deaf, beginning for the premises, a 40 year association with education.
The Hotel was renamed ‘Frank Lopdell House’ in 1960 after the Superintendent of Education and became the first centre for Teacher’s In-service Training, providing a venue for week-long courses. The Building was vacated in 1982 and purchased a year later by The Waitemata City Council, to become an Arts and Cultural Centre for West Auckland.
PO Box 60109