|Sat 16 Feb 2013, 6:30pm–10:30pm|
Additional fees may apply
A unique opportunity to experience a variety showcase of music & dance by leading Māori & Pacific performing artists affiliated to the Tainui region and set in the beautiful Hamilton Gardens. Concert line up includes:
James Webster & Horomona Horo - Singing Treasures:
Over the past 30 years there has been a revival of the craft of taonga puoro (Māori musical instruments). James & Horomona are dedicated to the revival - teaching and sharing of these taonga through instrument making and musical and artistic performances.
Founded by Princess Te Puea in 1921 and based at Turangawaewae Marae in Ngāruawāhia, Te Pou o Mangatāwhiri (TPM) is one of the top traditional Māori cultural or kapa haka groups in New Zealand. TPM were finalists at the last Te Matatini National Kapa Haka Festival held in 2011 and are representing the Tainui region again in 2013.
The Noel Kaa Reid Band:
This Waikato based six piece Flamenco group’s style ranges from traditional flamenco infused with modern rhythms making for an exciting melodic and rhythmical experience that touches traditional styles and mixes in contemporary flavours.
Tasty Brown, a Hamilton based six piece band, bring loads of energy and groove to a dynamic stage performance with their tasty fusion of original R&B, funk & reggae.
Three Houses Down:
Three Houses Down is a nine piece reggae band with a strong choral tradition. The band has built up a large and loyal following throughout Aotearoa, NZ as well as internationally and are highly regarded for their powerful live performances.
Mihirangi - The Queen of Loops:
Once you experience Mihirangi’s empowering live loop show, you’ll be hooked into her organic earthy vibe and captivated by her stunning vocal performance. It’s easy to see why they call her, ‘The Queen of Loops’.
Katchafire are truly ‘World Famous in New Zealand’ but are also revered throughout the Pacific, South America and North America. Katchafire are a band that resonates throughout the nation, spreading the good will of reggae from their Hamilton and Waikato base. They have released four albums: Revival (2003) which featured the highest-selling NZ single of 2003, "Giddy Up"; Slow Burning (2005), Say What You're Thinking (2007) & On the Road Again (2010).
1. A variety of food stalls will be available at the event for spectators to purchase food.
2. No alcohol or soft drinks will be allowed to be brought into the venue.
3. A cash bar & Eftpos will be available on site providing non-alcoholic beverages, beer & wine for spectators to purchase.
4. Water is permitted as long as the water is contained in a clear plastic bottle & the bottle is sealed.
5. Some seating will be provided but spectators are encourage to bring their own low profile sand chairs, mats or blankets for seating on the Rhododendron Lawn.
6. Parking is available at the venue and surrounding suburbs.
7. Make a day of it in Hamilton by enjoying the Warriors vs Penrith game at Waikato Stadium followed by the Ahi Kaa - Home Fires concert at Hamilton Gardens!
6. Check out www.hgaf.co.nz for additional information and updates.
Ellerslie Event Centre, Auckland
Sat 12 Sep 10:00am
Before you go, would you like to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter with events happening in your area, competitions for free tickets and CD giveaways?
Enter your email below, click on the Sign Up button and we’ll send you on your way
Continuing confirms your acceptance of our terms of service.