The Milo Backyard
Sorry, this event’s been and gone
|Thu 12 Jul ’12, 8:30am–12:30pm||
Where: Landsdowne Community Centre, 4 Landsdowne Terrace, Cashmere, Christchurch City
Restrictions: All Ages
- Admission: Free
Get the family together and come along to a free event to enjoy the Milo Backyard!
The Milo Backyard is a play area sponsored by Milo to encourage kids and parents to spend time together getting active in unstructured play. This initiative follows on from the State Of Play report released earlier this year, highlighting the startling fact that almost half (46%) of Kiwi kids are not playing every day.
How it works:
1. Book a Milo zone (or ‘backyard’)
2. Decide how many people are playing
3. Choose the tools of your choice (there will be balls, frisbees, hula hoops, ropes, cones, Velcro tags and coloured bibs)
4. Make up your game, create the rules
5. Head to your allocated space and play!
These games can be as physical as you want them to be and kids are welcome to play on their own, with a friend, with a parent or with a group – it’s all up to them!
Some game starter ideas:
• Mixing two games together, like soccer and cricket (kick the ball to score runs)
• Frisbee golf (instead of hitting a golf ball into a hole, aim the frisbee to hit a marker)
• Hula-catch (pass the ball between two people spinning hula hoops)
The great thing about these Milo Backyards is that it encourages kids to make up their own games that they can then replicate at home.
Playing can be thirsty work, so we will also have some free cold Milo drinks ready for those wanting to refuel.
If you can’t make this event, don’t worry – we will be traveling all over Wellington and Christchurch throughout the school holidays to make sure everyone can join in.