Home Cheesemaking - Mozzarella, Butter, Clotted Cream
Sorry, this event’s been and gone
|Sat 25 Aug ’12, 9:30am–3:30pm||
Where: St Aidan's Anglican Church, 24 Thames St, Hamilton
- General admission: $199.00
- Booking fees may apply
These one-day hands-on workshops focus in on the techniques for making cheese at home in your kitchen. We'll also show you how to make ricotta, mascarpone, quark and Greek-style yoghurt. If time permits I will even demo my one minute Mozzarella recipe. You don't need to have any experience with making cheese to go home understanding the principles and practices of cheesemaking, ripening and maturation.
At the end of the workshop we'll give you instructions on how to ripen and mature your cheese at home. There's a few supplies you'll need to have when you get your cheese home: some hand sanitiser, a plastic container with a lid and a rack that fits inside the container. The container needs to be big enough to hold a tub of margarine.
Of course, while we make sure there's plenty of time for answering all your questions, we'll also talk with you about:
- The origins of cheese, starter cultures and rennet;
- Home hygiene;
- Sourcing milk for home cheesemaking;
- Recipes and techniques for making cheeses at home;
- Equipment - where to find it, how to make it;
- Ripening and maturing cheese.
- A full set of course notes, including recipes and instructions;
- Morning and afternoon tea;
- A hosted cheese tasting ;
- Your cheese, to take home to ripen, mature and devour.
What should I bring?
- A clean apron;
- A pen to take notes;
- Cash or cheque to purchase cheesemaking supplies (most people find $40 - $150 is suffice).