Audition - Dolphin Theatre
Sorry, this event’s been and gone
|Sat 11 Aug ’12, 1:30pm–4:00pm||
|Sun 12 Aug ’12, 1:30pm–4:00pm||
Where: Dolphin Theatre, 12 Spring Street, Auckland
Restrictions: All Ages
Event listed by: ronw
“Nunsense” is a hilarious spoof about the misadventures of five nuns trying to manage a fundraiser. Sadly, the rest of the sisterhood died from botulism after eating vichyssoise prepared by Sister Julia. Thus, the remaining nuns – ballet loving Sister Leo, street-wise Sister Robert Anne, befuddled Sister Mary Amnesia, the Mother Superior Sister Regina, and mistress of the novices Sister Mary Hubert – stage a talent show in order to raise the money to bury their dearly departed. The score pulses with merriment and an unabashed desire to make you laugh with songs and spontaneous comic interludes paced at break-neck speed.
List of characters
· Sister Mary Regina: female, mezzo, age 45-55. Mother Superior, a feisty, overweight, seemingly no-nonsense Nun who, once she lets her hair down, is a lot of fun. And although she attests the opposite she can’t resist the spotlight.
· Sister Mary Hubert: female, alt, age 35-50. Mistress of novices, the second in command, she is always competing with the Mother Superior. Mischievous and a little bit naughty. Big soul sound voice.
· Sister Robert Anne: Female, belt, age 27-35. A streetwise, tough character from Brooklyn, a constant source of irritation for the Mother Superior. She likes her own way and does not give up. A definite “comedian” and prankster.
· Sister Mary Amnesia: female, soprano, age 25-35. This nun lost her memory after a crucifix fell on her head; she is very sweet but really not with us. There is no subtle button on this nun. Needs to have an opera voice and a good country twang.
· Sister Mary Leo: female, soprano, age 19-25. The novice who has entered the convent with the firm desire to become the first nun ballerina. Young and sweet and not too mature. Must have ballet moves.
· “Nunsense” is a fast paced ensemble musical, where each actress must be able to play comedy, sing solos and harmony and dance. Tap an advantage.
· As each character is a big personality that is what I am looking for in auditions. Please sing any song of your choice that shows you at your most fun.
· A dance workshop will be held on Sunday morning from 10.30am to 12.30pm. All auditionees are required to attend.
· We do not wish anyone to audition unaccompanied. There will be an audition pianist, please bring sheet music in your key. You may use your own pianist or bring a backing track.
· Recalls will be held Tuesday 7th August at Dolphin Theatre.
· Rehearsals will commence 2nd September 2012. Preference will be given to auditionees who care able to attend for the entire rehearsal period. Please do not audition if you are cast in another show during the month of September.