2012 Term 3 Grasshoppers Tournament Tri Series
Sorry, this event’s been and gone
|Sun 22 Jul ’12, 11:00am–12:30pm||
|Sun 19 Aug ’12, 11:00am–12:30pm||
|Sun 16 Sep ’12, 11:00am–12:30pm||
Where: Manawatu Lawn Tennis Club, 224 Fitzherbert Ave, Palmerston North
Restrictions: All Ages
Event listed by: tmitennis
Tennis Manawatu will be holding 3 Grasshoppers Tournaments in term 3.
Grasshoppers Tournament FAQ’s
Does my child have to be of a certain standard?
- Definitely not! Even if they are still only just learning to hit the ball over the net, by playing the mini matches at the tournament it will be reinforcing the skills they are learning, and getting them to understand what the game is all about by playing points. We often see a significant improvement in the kids who sign up and play the tournament, as they literally get to hit hundreds of tennis balls!
Can my child be too good to enter?
- The great thing about the Grasshopper Tournaments is that they are graded on ability at Red (Beginner), Orange (Improver) and Green (Advanced) level; so if you are a 5 year old beginner, you would play over the mini nets with the sponge balls in the Red Group. If you are a 10 year old who is a strong player then you would play in the Green Group. Previously at the tournaments in Hamilton we have had some of the Waikato Regional squad players in the top group which has given everyone a challenge! You will always be placed in a group relative to your age and ability.
What's the format of the day?
- We start at 10.30am On Sundays and after the introductions; everyone will be put onto a court with some to play. After that the tournament begins and it is based on Timed Tennis. For example in a group of 8 they may be playing 5 to 10 minute matches against everybody. We will have a drinks break at around 11.20am then carry on with more games. We will finish up just before 12pm with the Prize giving.
Can I stay and watch?
- Yes that makes the event even better! Particularly with the younger ones, they often need some help with the scoring, so any help in scoring games all helps in the morning running much more smoothly!
Does my child need to be in a coaching group or member of a club to enter?
- Definitely not! The idea of the Grasshopper Tournaments is to be inclusive and involve as many children as are keen to play! So any friends of friends are more than welcome too if they fancy playing some matches!
What's the cost?
- The cost to enter is $10 per person
How do I enter?
- On the entry form flyer you will see all the contact details, you can phone in your entry, email or of course the old fashioned way of posting it in.
Never hesitate to ask any more questions you can contact Jared Kemsley, Tennis Development Officer Tennis Manawatu on firstname.lastname@example.org 06 3502966 or 021 499155 for any general enquires.
For entry forms go to the Tennis Manawatu Website and go to the Grasshoppers tab.